- This event has passed.
Indigenous Cultural Competency Training
December 11, 2019 @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm$249
The Native Canadian Centre of Toronto (NCCT) is delivering Indigenous Cultural Competency Training.
This training workshop provides a foundation for understanding the unique relationship existing between Indigenous people and Canadians. This training is intended to promote change within the individual, workplace, organization, and community. By providing an overview of Indigenous worldviews, enhancing self-awareness through experiential learning and increasing knowledge of historical contexts, attendees will be able to better understand how to establish healthy relationships between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples in Canada. Individuals will learn how to engage Indigenous people and include them in the narrative, the workplace, spaces, systems and services in a meaningful and purposeful way that promotes respect and an honest awareness of our distinctiveness, resilience, culture, history, and gifts.
This full-day training will provide Indigenous and non-Indigenous attendees with an overview of today’s Indigenous culture and how the historical and current experiences shape misinformed views of Indigenous people.
This session will cover:
– Existing trends and socioeconomic conditions impacting Indigenous Communities
– Define the terminology of Indigenous People of Canada
– Major historical events from Indigenous perspectives
– Impacts of the Indian Act, Indian Residential Schools and the Sixties (60s) Scoop
– Increase self-awareness of inter-generational trauma and how to apply that to your employment, community and / or family
– Create self-awareness the will support in establishing relationships with Indigenous communities
– Receive resources that will support further self-directed learning