The Chiefs of Ontario is inviting applications for the position of Environment Policy Analyst and Coordinator. The Analyst/ Coordinator will be working closely with Transportation Canada, Ocean Protection Plan working to identify gaps in with relation to First Nations in Ontario to increase participation and input into decisions affecting marine transport and to build meaningful partnerships with First Nations in marine safety. The incumbent provides intermediate level expertise to the position, manages confidential and time sensitive information and serves as a primary point of contact with management.
LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct in-depth research, data collection, policy analysis, and environmental scanning of current and future legislation, policies and programs impacting the environment and First Nations.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with government ministries, First Nation communities and organizations to ensure effective communication flow and dialogue between all partners.
- Actively participate and collaborate in working groups and task teams and provide policy / program advice and recommendations.
- Collaborate and share information in a dynamic team environment within Chiefs of Ontario.
- Responsible for providing daily assistance in administrative duties by providing effective scheduling management.
- Record, transcribe and prepare minutest for Meetings, workshops and seminars.
- Full meeting preparation including agendas, booking location/venue, catering, and preparation of approved meeting packages.
- Communication on meetings and preparation including recording and transcribing meeting minutes.
Must be able to work flexible hours during busy seasons i.e. assembly seasons; out of town meetings, etc.
- 1-3 years of proficient work experience in a First Nations community organization is essential.
- Working knowledge of First Nations governance structure.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree is preferred.
- A valid driver’s licenses and the availability to travel is a must.
- Any other licenses and/or certificates will be considered an asset i.e. first aid/CPR training, coaching, WHMIS, etc.
- Knowledge of Indigenous culture and values and rights in particular, the nations that reside within the boundaries of the province of Ontario.
- Exceptional knowledge of various computer applications (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint).
- Must be able to communicate clearly and concisely both written and orally.
- Demonstrates the ability to stay organized in a fast paced environment.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and the ability to develop and maintain good working relationships within the organization and external agencies or affiliates.
- Ability to work independently and meet tight deadlines.
DURATION: October 1st 2019 – March 31st 2020 (With the potential for extension based on funding)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 20th 5:00 pm (Application must be received by this date & time)
Send letter of application, resume and include 2 references marked confidential to:
Ashley Nardella, Human Resources
Chiefs of Ontario
468 Queen Street East, Suite 400
Toronto, ON M5A 1T7