The Chiefs of Ontario is inviting applications for the position of Manager of Policy and Relationships in the Health Department. The incumbent is a highly experienced professional with a passion for relationship building. The Manager of Policy and Relationships will develop, organize and oversee the progress and direction of Policy and Relationships within the Health Department.
LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Member of the Health Department and work closely with the Director of Health and Managers within the Department.
- Review the business plan and prepare a workplan for the Policy and Relationships unit.
- Updates the Director, First Nations leaders, communities and organizations on the work within the unit.
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with external organizations with a similar mandate.
- Review, analyze and provide recommendation on policy and legislation that affect First Nations.
- Develops policies where needed within the Health Sector.
- Builds relationships with the Federal and Provincial Governments as it relates to First Nations Health issues in Ontario.
- Develops relationships with Assembly of First Nations, take the lead with Chiefs Committee on Health (CCOH), provides updates, and reports to the Health Director, the Health Coordination Unit (HCU) and OCCOH.
- Is the lead in the trilateral discussions in developing agendas and overseeing the work of the Trilateral Committee.
- Will adhere to Chiefs of Ontario financial management policy and oversee the budget and the staff of the sector.
- Provide leadership and coaching to employees within the unit.
- Ensure adherence to all Chiefs of Ontario policies, and program goals.
- Attend OCCOH, Health Coordination Unit and Chiefs Committees to ensure Health updates are given.
- Advocate and develop proposals.
- Prepare communiqués, memos, briefing notes, speaking notes and media releases.
- Attend relevant meetings and gatherings.
- Post-secondary education in related field (Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree).
- Previous work in policy development and analysis.
- Experience in working with senior officials in both federal and provincial governments
- Proven experience in relationship building.
- Experience in proposal development and financial management.
- Proven management and leadership experience.
- Experience in; strategic planning and implementation of plans.
- Knowledge of First Nation traditions cultures and values; understand the history and relationship between First Nations and the Crown.
- Excellent communication skills, including written and verbal.
- Capacity to work effectively independently and as a member of a team to complete assigned tasks and projects.
- Strong ability to analyze problems, recommend comprehensive solutions and mobilize resources for effective implementation.
- Must be able to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines, familiar with critical path planning and logistical requirements.
- Must be trustworthy, reliable and maintain confidentiality
- Political acuity and critical thinking is essential.
DURATION: October 19th to March 31st, 2021 (Possible renewal based on available funding)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 26th, 2020 5:00 pm EST (Application must be received by this date & time)
Send letter of application, resume and include 2 references marked confidential to: