The Chiefs of Ontario are inviting applications for the position of Policy Advisor. The incumbent will provide policy expertise, identify priorities, research and develop polices and recommendations which are aligned with the strategic direction of the Ontario Regional Chief’s Office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively maintain a strategic policy work plan and incorporate relevant priorities identified by the ORC
- Prepare background documents, communiqués, briefing notes, presentations, policies, and other relevant materials
- Proactively identify trends, challenges and opportunities and analyze the risks and benefits of policy options when framing recommendations
- Conduct in-depth research, data collection, policy analysis, and environmental scanning of current and future legislation, policies and programs impacting First Nation peoples in Ontario.
- Coordinate and manage certain projects as assigned by the Director of Policy and Political Affairs
- Communicate and collaborate with governmental and non-governmental organizations to establish and maintain partnerships and relationships
- Deliver policy advice and/or briefings to the ORC and the Director of Policy and Political Affairs regarding strategic policy renewal and emerging issues
- other tasks as required
- Master’s degree from an accredited university in policy, social sciences, law or other related studies. Education and experience may be substituted for one another.
- minimum of seven years of full-time professional experience working with First Nations, public policy, or a related field
- Superior writing, analytical and verbal communication as well as large group presentation skills to senior management, executives and other audiences using knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software
- Experience in providing expert evidence-based policy recommendations and advice which aligns with strategic organizational priorities
- Expertise in policy analysis with knowledge of research methodologies, environmental and jurisdictional scanning, modeling and forecasting
- Strong research skills and the ability to identify trends and opportunities
- Organizational skills to manage conflicting work demands and deliver priorities in alignment with team objectives
Duration: September 3, 2019- March 31, 2020 (Potential for renewal based on funding approval)
Application Deadline: August 23, 2019 5:00 pm EST (Application must be received by this date & time)
Send letter of application, resume and include 2 references marked confidential to:
Chiefs of Ontario
468 Queen St. E, Suite 400,