The Senior Housing Advisor is responsible for supporting the Chiefs of Ontario in research, policy analysis, data collection and analysis, the development and delivery of policy initiatives, reports and other written material related to current housing mandates.
A key responsibility will be working directly with the Chiefs Committee on Housing and Infrastructure, who are examining options for the development of a new housing framework for First Nations in Ontario.
The Senior Advisor will be responsible for establishing and building effective relationships with Ontario First Nation communities, Regional First Nation Organizations, the Assembly of First Nations, Indigenous Services Canada, and other relevant government ministries and/or organizations.
Location: Toronto, Ontario (Consideration may be given for a remote working arrangement for individuals with demonstrated experience working independently).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work as the lead, with oversight from the Director of Policy and Provincial Affairs, on the development and implementation of a work plan for long-term housing solutions in Ontario First Nation communities
- Liaison between the Chiefs of Ontario Secretariat and the Assembly of First Nations to monitor and support ongoing developments of the National Housing Strategy
- Coordinate and support the Chiefs Committee on Housing and Infrastructure
- Provide relevant updates and briefings to the Ontario Political Confederacy and the Chiefs in Assembly
- Conduct in-depth research, data collection, policy analysis, and environmental scanning of current and future legislation, policies and programming affecting First Nations in Ontario
- Monitor relevant federal and provincial policies that will affect First Nations in Ontario, communicating updates to First Nation leadership
- Maintain partnerships with relevant government ministries, First Nation communities and organizations to ensure effective communication and dialogue between all parties
- Actively participate in working groups and task teams to provide policy/program recommendations
- Participate in the development and implementation of unit work plans including the preparation of funding proposals and deliverables.
- Develop and implement accurate reporting mechanisms that measure the efficacy of previous and current programs, strategies and initiatives
- Attend and take notes at relevant meetings and gatherings
- Coordinate meetings and gatherings
- Prepare written communications including briefing notes and reports
- Undertake related duties that may be assigned as needed
- Relevant post-secondary education
- Familiarity with existing housing programs and services for First Nations and knowledge of the technical and political landscape related to housing is an asset
- Knowledge of First Nation traditions, cultures, values and protocols; in-depth understanding of the historical relationship between First Nations and the Crown
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential
- Proven capacity to work independently and as a member of a team to complete assigned tasks and projects
- Experience with data collection and analysis
- Experience working with and conducting engagement with First Nation Leadership and communities
Duration: November 2019 – March 31, 2020 (with the possibility for contract extension, based on available funding)
Application Deadline: November 15, 2019 5:00 pm EST
(Applications received after this deadline will not be considered)
Send letter, resume and 2 references marked confidential to:
Chiefs of Ontario