The objective of the First Nation Strategic Health planning process is to develop a proactive approach to improve the status of First Nation’s health as well as to transform it. The Chiefs in Assembly adopted a Strategic Plan as a work in progress with the outlined strategies at the Special Chiefs Assembly in November 2008.
The Strategies are:
- Assert Rights Treaty for health
- Advocate and lobby for First Nation jurisdictions to govern their own health systems
- Align Ontario First Nation health system levels to transform the status of First Nation health
- Develop processes to support Ontario First Nation health system
- Improve flow of communications within the Ontario First Nation health system
- Use technology to expand access to health information
- Implement strategic management system for sustainable change & results
Non-Insured Health Benefits
The NIHB Program is a national program which is designed to support First Nations people in reaching an overall health status that is comparable with Canadians. The NIHB Program is also designed to help individuals maintain their health, prevent disease, assist in detecting and managing illnesses, injuries, and disabilities.
Trilateral Health Senior Officials Committee
All Ontario Chiefs Assembly in June 2011 passed Resolution 11/38 directing OCCOH to establish TFNHSOC with the provincial and federal governments.
Health Research and Data Management
The Health Research and Data Management Sector strategic directions are building upon the
Chiefs of Ontario main objective and the Health Strategic Plan that was developed in 2009.
Chiefs of Ontario 2nd Bi-Annual Research Symposium Conference Report
Moving Forward in First Nations Health Research
February 25, 2019
Mental Health and Addictions
Chiefs of Ontario 14th Annual Health Forum
Follow the link to find presentations from the Chiefs of Ontario’s 14th Annual Health Forum – ‘Our Health, Our Future. Advancing First Nation Best Practices: Stories of Resilience, Innovation and Success. February 25, 26, 27 2020.
Carmen Jones, Director of Health
Email: Carmen.Jones@coo.org or Alice@coo.org
toll free at: